Friday 8 May 2015

Wreck It Ralph Review - What Shall I Watch On Netflix?

Wreck It Ralph (2012)
Directed By Rich Moore
Produced By Clark Spencer
Starring John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer, Jane Lynch and Alan Tudyk


Wreck It Ralph has only recently been added to Netflix (U.K.) but I have actually wanted to see it since it came out. It's made by Disney but could quite easily be confused for a Pixar film due to the fact that it can very easily keep adults entertained as much, if not more, than kids.

Ralph is the bad guy of his video game called Fix-It Felix. This game is very much like Donkey Kong where Ralph destroys a building and it is up to Felix (controlled by the gamer) to come along and rebuild the building whilst dodging Ralph's attacks.

Wreck It Ralph is quite similar to Toy Story in that once the arcade where the games are kept closes, the characters from the games are free to wonder around – and even travel from their own game to others through power cables and a surge-protector which acts like a train station. When the arcade closes, the characters from Fix-It Felix throw parties for Felix to show their appreciation for his work that day, whilst Ralph is resigned to his home in the town dump.

Ralph becomes depressed, and complains at a group therapy session for video game villains (starring such characters as Dr. Eggman and chaired by Clyde, the orange Pac Man ghost) that he understands that he is the games bad-guy, but he isn't a bad guy. He comes to the conclusion that if he goes into another game called Hero's Duty and wins the medal, then the other characters from his game might treat him in a nicer way. Ralph manages to claim his medal, but accidentally releases into another game (Sugar Rush) a Cybug, which is kind of a cross between the squids from The Matrix and a virus.

The thing I loved most about this film was the cameos and references to video games. From the way that a spilled liquid forms 8-bit shapes, graffiti in the background has references to things like Leroy Jenkins, or even just sound bites from popular games like Metal Gear Solid. I found myself paying very close attention to see what else I could spot. Afterwards I did wonder if I would have paid anywhere near as much attention to the film if there hadn't been so many references. My friend said they really enjoyed the story, and I did too, but I can't help but think the story followed a fairly generic and predictable route. But it is a Disney film meant for children, so I'm probably asking too much.

Another fantastic thing about the film is the sound. The soundtrack is very well made - the composer, Henry Jackman, has presumably spent a fair amount of time playing video games, and I really appreciated the way the styles were replicated. This is mostly shown when Ralph moves from one game to another, with rock and electro played in the FPS game Hero's Duty and pop music played in the Mario Cart-style Sugar Rush. It's a small change, but one I noticed and appreciated.

It's impossible to talk about the sound in this film without mentioning the cast. John C. Reilly does a fantastic job of playing the down trodden guy who feels very sorry for himself. Jayne Lynch plays the sergeant and this is also a very good fit. It's reminiscent of her character from Role Models in that she is very tough and will not tolerate anyone wasting her time. Another character who's voice I loved is Alan Tudyk who plays King Candy. This character is based on Ed Wynn who played the Mad Hatter from Alice In Wonderland and Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins. He does a brilliant job and I can't imagine that it's Steve The Pirate from Dodgeball doing the voice. The only downside to the casting in my opinion is Vanellope voiced by Sarah Silverman. She constantly annoyed me throughout the film, and although we're supposed to feel sad for her and her relationship with Ralph is what gives this film emotion, I found myself really not caring about her and waiting for an excuse for her to be taken out the film. Apparently the actors recorded their lines together, which allowed for some improv, but I didn't notice the lines coming across any more naturally than in other animated films.

Overall: Wreck It Ralph is a great looking, and brilliantly cast animated film, that has the ability to keep kids entertained with its bright colours and interesting characters, but will also keep many adults entertained as they seek out and appreciate the references to games they've played. Adults may not even mind their children wanting to watch it again as I'm sure I won't have caught all the references and cameos on my first viewing. And if they've not been big gamers in their time, the voice acting and different styles of animation/music depending on what game Ralph is visiting should be enough to keep their interest, although replay value will be decreased.

As a gamer, I give this film 8/10
For non-gamers, I think this film would be 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment